Monday, May 01, 2006

Dinner and a movie...

Recently the White house Correspondents Dinner held on Saturday night had a speaker who is close to my heart. I speak, of course, of Steven Colbert. Don’t worry, through the modern marvel of the internet, you can still download it, (no transcripts yet!). Colbert covered a surprising variety of topics; Fox news, new press secretary Tony Snow, boxing a glacier, Valerie Plame, just to name a few. It takes an inscrutable amount of balls to bring material like that to such a room. I shouldn’t have been surprised when he covered the same things in his speech that he did in his show- but I was. Probably because, most of the issues he mentioned are still being avoided rather than answered.

In other things-you-dont-want-to-know™ I saw Lucky Number Slevin this weekend, It might be worth your time. Its not your usual Hollywood crap, (unless that's your thing).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a quality interview with Colbert on 60 Minutes last night, a piece by Morley Safer--much insight into the real-life Steve.
--marsh

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I'm realy going to have to watch the live performance. I'm now reading that some people think he "bombed" and that no one was laughing. Others say it was "courageous" (but does that mean funny?). I've read some of the transcripts and it's definitely funny material--he either failed on delivery or people were just too uncomfortable with the shots he took. Maybe the media just resents the fake news crowd.

Transcripts:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811